I’m here today to do the Big Reveal on my Elmer-Inspired Granny Patchwork Baby Blanket. This is the first blanket where I’ve really taken you along with me on the journey, so it seems only right that we start at the very beginning rather than jumping in with a Ta Dah! (feel free to scroll to the bottom if you don’t have the time!).
So, this blanket was my first proper go at using granny squares, and branching out from my usual muted palate to a crazy bonanza of 18 colours (Lucy colours), 18 gorgeous Stylecraft Special DK colours::
I worked out my own framed granny squares pattern for the squares (not highly original, but I didn’t follow a proper pattern), and I crocheted my little squares until I had 80 of the lovely things.
Playing with squares gave me a lot of joy during this project. I loved laying them out:
stacking them up:
and lying them down::
It was mostly procrastination! I made them at home, in the office, on our Easter holiday (yes, I know, I haven’t forgotten I still need to share our trip, slow Jones!)… and then I laid them out.
As I said before, Random was difficult. But I got there in the end. And then the joining began.
Joining was not nearly as troublesome or time consuming as I expected. I found it quite therapeutic actually doing my little slip stitch joins in the contrasting cream. After a little pause, I moved on to The Edge. I crocheted the first few rows in cream (to tie in with the cream joins on the back), before finishing with a row of sherbet and then pomegranate.
The pattern for my edge, which you can see in close up below, was (in UK terms):
- Row 1: dc (back loops only) – for the corner, do 2 dc in middle corner ch
- Row 2: tr (back loops only) – for the corner, do 2 st in each of the middle stitches from the row before (follow this approach for future rows)
- Row 3 & 4: htr
- Row 5: dc (back loops only) in Sherbet
- Row 6: dc (back loops only) in Pomegranate
Right! So, now we’re fully up to speed, would you like to see it in all it’s glory? Are you ready? Ta daaaah!
Elmer-Inspired Granny Patchwork Baby Blanket::
Ooh I just LOVE IT! I really am so, so pleased with this one! The colours are so bright and inviting, perfect for my jolly friends. And I just can’t wait to see their new baby all wrapped up in it!
It was quite a time-consuming make, mainly because I practiced my square pattern and joining before I went at it with gusto. And there was all that time arranging and rearranging the squares! But it was definitely worth it.
Fancy a look at the back? It’s just as lovely, and the cream joining worked just as I had hoped::
I had a good old play with the blanket before I folded it up::
Wheeee! ♥ ♥ ♥ I really love this blanket! ♥ ♥ ♥
I’m sure some of you will be wanting some blankety stats, so here goes:
- Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK in 18 colours – saffron, shrimp, fondant, pomegranate, lipstick, magenta, plum, emperor, wisteria, lavender, clematis, cloud blue, sherbet, aster, turquoise, meadow, aspen and spring green
- Worked on a 4.5mm hook
- Final blanket size: 29″ x 23″
- Weight: 300g (which is a bit of bargain since the wool was only £1.60/100g ball
- Time to make: eek, a lot!
And there we have it! My 5th baby blanket complete! I hope you like it as much as I do!